Dating an old western electric telephone
Supporting segments included was released by Walt Disney Pictures in 2007.
At its height the depot employed 400 permanent workers who were housed within the Ministry of Defence's town infrastructure.East Dock MPD was one of several in the Swansea area.Coded 87D under BR, it had an allocation of 35 tank locos made up of 2-8-2Ts and 2-8-0Ts which were employed on the heaviest coal trains originating from the South Wales coalfield, though they were often seen further afield in England.Numbered 7200-7253 in the fleet these 2-8-2Ts were conversions of Churchward's earlier Class '42XX' 2-8-0Ts, being fitted with a radial trailing truck and larger bunker (coal capacity 6 tons) almost double that of No 5616.Introduced in 1924 the '56XX' class was designed for passenger services on the heavily-graded valley lines in South Wales..The former GWR depot at East Dock was once home to 60 locos during the 1950s before it was run down and lost its allocation in 1958, but in September 1962 - with the onset of WR's dieselisation gathering pace - a remarkable revival took place when the shed inherited all of Cardiff Canton's steam allocation including Castles, Halls, Granges and Manors.(Above-Below) The exceptional overhang of Collett's '56XX' class 5MT 0-6-2T smokebox can be seen in this shot by Joseph S Waterfall of No 5616 at Danygraig MPD in June 1959.
Note the difference in bunker size between 5616 and the Collett 72XX class 8F 2-8-2T behind it.
The station at Goodwick was closed to passenger traffic on 6th April 1964 though it continued to be used as the terminus for the seasonal Motorail service from June 1965.
Motorail kept the station in use during the summer season until the regular service from London ended on 19th September 1980 and the occasional peak service in September 1982.
He has a black and white photo of Swansea High St box (above) but is seeking a photo of Jersey Marine South signal box. Raymond can be contacted via email - [email protected](Below) Goodwick MPD (87J) can be seen in this general view of Fishguard and Goodwick station in June 1959.
Opened on 1st August 1899, the station was originally called Goodwick until 1st May 1904 when the GWR opened their 5 mile extension to Fishguard Harbour and moved their Irish Ferry operation from Neyland.
Opened by the Taff Valley Railway in 1884, Cardiff Cathays MPD together with its sub-shed Radyr became the principal Loco Depots of the Cardiff Valleys Division.